Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Latest Post

Technology

Alake of Egbaland - "IBB Detained me for 60 Days"

SUNDAY NEWSWATCH - In celebration of his 70th birthday, the Paramount ruler of Egbaland, Oba (Dr.) Adedotun Gbadebo, yesterday, reflected on his past, recalling how he was detained for 60 days by the Military junta led by General Ibrahim Babangida in 1985.


He declared that his detention experience remained the saddest moment of his life, which he detests whenever it enrols his memory.

Addressing newsmen in his Ake Palace in Abeokuta in commemoration of his birthday, the new septuagenarian expressed his displeasure about the height of insecurity in the country, cautioning that sectarian crisis should be avoided.

He, however, affirmed that his happiest moment was in 1971, when he got married to his wife, Olori Adetokunbo Gbadebo.

The ex-military officer disclosed that his detention was as a result of the insinuation that he was not happy over his retirement.

He said: “As such, I must have been part of the coup, because I was not happy over my disengagement. It all happened that people were calling me that I have been arrested and I went to Obasanjo at Ota, and he said ‘but they said you have been arrested’ and I said well this is me.

I returned to Ikoyi Lagos, and I was coming down from the car when an officer who identified himself as NSO official said his boss (Gambo) said I should come down to his office. It was then that I realized that it is true. I got to the office and for sixty days, I was detained and was only told that because I was not happy with my disengagement, it was thought that I would be part of the coup.”

The monarch explained further that the allegation came to him as a surprise, “as I wanted to spend only three years in service and ended spending 16years. So, the fact that I was released made me happy, because I had always wanted to have my own freedom. So, the experience was the worst day in my life.”

Nevertheless, the monarch noted that the insecurity situation was getting unbearable, lamenting that “Nigeria is not what it ought to be. I want Nigerian government to do something about insecurity as security for one is security for all. We have to be vigilant.”

Oba Gbadebo also counselled on the Boko Haram insurgency, stressing that there is need for caution to avoid sectarian and religious crisis.

Alake of Egbaland - "IBB Detained me for 60 Days" Reviewed by Msl on 07:01 Rating: 5

No comments:

All Rights Reserved by Niger Times Test Site © 2014 - 2015
Powered By Blogger, Designed by Sweetheme

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.